21 November, 2009

There's something quieter than sleep





I had to go to school today to work on a project. Not fun. However, I took advantage of being on that side of town during daylight hours to stop by the little cemetery I once lived near. It is one of my most favorite places in the world. My sister and I spent hours in this cemetery when we were small, playing among the trees and old headstones. The fact that it houses the remains of hundreds of people long-dead never bothered us. To me, cemeteries are beautiful and peaceful. And, really, isn't that the way they should be?


Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't go walking through a cemetery alone at night, but that has less to do with the fact that it's a cemetery and more to do with the fact that I am (a little bit) afraid of the dark.



















This last photo is Lottie's headstone. I don't know who she was, but I have to say hello whenever I make a trip to the cemetery. Her grave is in a quiet corner under some old trees. She was a married woman of 21 when she died in 1903 and I think this is why I am drawn to her. I try to imagine what she was like and what her life was all about. I have a feeling she was pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. I love old graveyards. My favorite are the ones on Cape Cod... old sea captains and people like that. I like to imagine there are some pirates mixed in as well :)

    ReplyDelete